And it can also save you money.
There are solutions and ways in which everyone can help reduce the amount of waste we produce. Waste prevention means consuming and throwing away less. It includes:
– purchasing durable, long-lasting goods
– smart shopping: make a list, buy only what you need
– repairing what is broken or giving it to someone who can repair it
– seeking products and packaging that are as environmentally friendly as possible
– using local facilities like charity shops
Further ways to reduce waste include repairing items or donating them to charity and community groups. Or, if you’ve got something you don’t need then give it away on www.freecycle.org, or sell through www.gumtree.com. There might be someone out there who wants to take it off your hands.
Furthermore, reusing products, when possible, is better than recycling because the item does not need to be reprocessed before it can be used again.
This website is full of advice and information on how to reduce the amount of waste you generate and how to save money. So take a look around and see if you can cut down the amount of waste going to landfill.